Jamnagar was founded by in 1540 A.D. as the capital of the Princely State of Nawanagar. Jamnagar, historically known as Nawanagar (the new town), was one of the most important princely states of the Jadeja’s in the region of Saurashtra. According to Pauranik literature, Lord Krishna established his kingdom at Dwarka town in Jamnagar district, after migrating from Mathura and accordingly, it is to the Yadava race that the Jams of Nawanagar trace their ancestry. On the 7th day of the bright half of the month of Srawan, VS 1956 (August 1540 AD) on the banks of two rivers Rangmati and Nagmati, he lay the foundation of his new capital and named it Nawanagar (new town). Nawanagar eventually came to be known as Jamnagar meaning the town of the Jams.
Jamnagar district is situated in Saurashtra Region of Gujarat State.
Surrounded by Gulf of Kutchhchh, Devbhumi Dwarka district, Rajkot District and Porbandar District.
Location : Latitude – 21.41 N to 22.58 N, Longitude – 68.57 E to 70.39 E
Jamnagar District having 3 Prant, with 6 Talukas, 421 Villages, 1 Municipal Corporation, 3 Nagarpalika.